Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 02:24:31 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp for isdn, ppp compression, and netgraph (also: load balancing)

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 11:39:54PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Juergen Lock writes:

> > Well yes someone would have to do the work and it probably won't
> >exactly make him rich either, thats true. :)  (but it could make
> >bsd more popular if it gets this before linux...)
> >

> So, Juergen, when can we expect to see patches from you ? :)

Heh i probably deserved something like that for that posting... :)

 but i don't think i'm the right one for that, sorry.

> _I_ certainly don't plan to invest any of my time in this endeavor.
>
> Besides, real flatrate connections are becoming more prevalent here in
> Germany, and at reasonable

 err...

>  (for Germany) prices.

 well :/

>  www.callando.de is
> offering a flatrate at 89 DM/mo iwth a 3 GB/mo limit. Not too bad.

 Still elsewhere you'd get a nice DSL for _much_ less.  (and what
happens when your box or even some script kiddie anywhere on the
net causes more than those 3 G traffic?  again insane bills?  one
important point of a flat rate (especially for home users) is that
you'll _never_ get charged more than what you expected.)

> The other providers will have to follow suit.

 the problem seems to be less the isps than the Telekom whose only
effective monoply left is the `last mile', and so they still charge
everyone (including the isps for their leased lines) an Arm and
a Leg for that.  (and don't get me wrong, i too hope this
9600bps-over-the-d-channel thing will be obsolete rather sooner
than later, but at least it would for the first time allow average
germans to take advantage of the net* without the current obscene
phonebills.)

*: i.e. being able to do more than just occasionally looking at
flashy websites...

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>