Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 15:14:50 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Including non-DocBook documents in the tree

Hi!

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 02:28:23PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:

> handle turning the docs in to other formats where possible -- some formats
> we might ignore, because it might not be feasible to do it (html2pdf?  No
> idea if it's a solved problem or not).

Ignoring formats would be a wrong way to go IMHO. (and not just becuase if
our docs support PS, there isn't much trouble in making a printed book out
of it:-) One of the strenghts of this project has been the tightly-knit
integrated document conversion system. (Save for layouting, it could even be
used to produce a newspaper both in print and on the web from the same
article sources, for example)

I think we should retain this for as long as is possible.

With that said, my ideas for this interim period:

- Submission is: HTML.
  - Output is: ASCII.  HTML->script to strip tags.
               LaTeX   HTML->html2latex from ports (less than perfect)
               PDF     HTML->html2latex->dvi->dvipdfm
               PS      HTML->html2latex->dvi->dvips
                       or html2ps from ports

- Submission is: LaTeX.
  - output is: ASCII   .tex->detex from ports
               PS, PDF: see above
               HTML:   latex2html from ports.

- Submission is: ASCII

  Well, in this case there is no workaround, I think. Someone needs to mark
it up somehow.

However, I am thinking what this would mean to translators and whetether in
this way we could retain the flexible modular document structure that is in
place now, because I'm afraid those docs will be sitting around there for a
while in their "interim" stage.... but I am not the person to comment on
this so I am just thinking...

BTW I think we are pretty much the forerunners of this among free software
projects, so we are on our own, kinda...

Sorry for bothering!

Cheers:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University