Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 1996 15:43:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Replacement for Colorado Tape Drive?

I've got a Colorado 250 tape drive on a system on which I've just
installed FreeBSD 2.1.  The drive is recognized with the bootup
message ft0: Colorado tape.

When I try to use it I get the message "device not configured."

E.g., /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind  produces this message, and
I get the same message if I substitute rft0 or ft0 for rst0.

I found the man page on ft unclear, and not very promising.  I am
not sure if I could use dump with ft or not.

So I'm considering a new tape backup--maybe with a capacity of
500 megabytes (or a little more) up to 1 gb.  Something that works
with dump.  Ideally, something that also works with the backup
program that comes with PC Tools for DOS, or has some other good
software associated with it that will do the same thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Annelise