Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:30:25 +1100
From:      Peter Hoskin <peterh@criten.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with PCI SATA Controller

Hi,

I've had a number of problems with this card. Please note I'm not using
this as a RAID card.

atapci0@pci1:3:0:       class=0x010400 card=0x61121095 chip=0x31121095
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Silicon Image Inc (Was: CMD Technology Inc)'
    device   = 'SiI 3112 SATALink/SATARaid Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID

Under FreeBSD 5, it'd continually generate timeout - WRITE_DMA errors
which would make the disks operate really slow... I found many others to
be having the same issue and they recommended dropping back to PIO
mode... seems I cannot do that on this card.

Under FreeBSD 6-BETA5, I never managed to get it installed... was
getting an error DANGER WILL ROBINSON

Under FreeBSD 6-RELEASE, I wasn't able to install with multiple disk
slices which I have attempted several times for the machine to lock up
when it gets to 28% copied each time. I ended up partitioning as a
single slice and strangely this worked. However, it seems whenever there
is a bit of disk activity the machine locks up just after dumping the
error ata2: DISCONNECT requested
Strangely this seems to happen everytime if I begin accessing both disks
I have attached to this controller at once.