Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:42:35 -0700
From:      Rick <rick@geckobot.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Significant Performance Drop during 4.0-4.3 Upgrade

Hi Erik-

Thanks for responding so quickly!  Unless I did something wrong, that didn't
seem to do the trick.  I sure thought it was going to work, though.

I added the following line to /boot/defaults/loader.conf:

hw.ata.wc="1"

...and rebooted but the performance hasn't picked up to where it was with
FreeBSD 4.0.  It may have gone up some-- I haven't been tracking the numbers
very closely.

By coincidence, one of the three systems was upgraded to FreeBSD 4.3 STABLE
instead of RELEASE, and it too shows roughly the same performance metrics.

If I didn't do this right, please let me know.  Otherwise if you or anyone
has other thoughts, I'd be happy to give them a try.

Rick

BTW- I'm not sure it's worth mentioning, but I still don't see any of this in
the 4.3 RELEASE notes...