Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:08:11 -0600
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DSL questions

Greetings,
My ISP just installed DSL at our fascility.  The box they
installed is a SpeedStream 5660.  This appears to be a
Adsl modem/router, with built in PPPoE client. The ISP
recommends we buy a SonicWall XPRS2 firewall to put in front
of the SpeedStream, and they will convert the SpeedStream to
a Bridge.

My question is, since the SonicWall costs about $1300, can I
use a freebsd box running PPPoE, nat, firewall, etc to do
the exact same thing? Are there any drawbacks?  Have DSL live
now, but not using it until I figure out the security.

thanks,
Darryl