Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:27:19 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup, FreeBSD-CVS tree and branches

Hi,

jason andrade wrote on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 01:53:35PM +1000:
[..]
> > > Where do you put your cvsup tree that is used to serve end users ?
> >
> > /u/cvsup, but that's an implementation detal.
>
> ah huh.. ok, so i am getting the idea that the tree that cvsupd needs,
> needs to live (ugh, really bad grammar) in a separate area.
No, it doesn't. As Garret said, its an implementation detail,
and he also mentioned, that he did not offer it in FTP space
in purpose.
Well, I do. That is the CVS-Rep lives in

/pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS

the collection-files live in
/usr/local/etc/cvsup/freebsd/{prefixes,sup}

..../prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs points to the place above.

Be sure to get the 'self-supfile', which updated the
'distrib' collection, which in turn keeps your
required FreeBSD collections up to date.

> > > is /pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/
> > > on ftp.freebsd.org, the root of the various cvsup trees ?
> > > or is it a checked out full version of the cvsup tree, but not
> > > actually suitable to seed a cvsup(d) tree ?
> > No.
>
> ok. i'm assuming no to both.
I'm not sure about your question, I try to put it in the
way, I understand it.

/pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS should be a full
copy of the FreeBSD project's CVS repository.
It is maintained on some machine, I don't know, possibly
cvsup-master.freebsd.org.

For sure cvsup-master.freebsd.org is the 'root' for all
mirrors to have a copy of the repository, which may be
maintained via cvsup.

Since FreeBSD-CVS is a _repository_, it is not "checked out".
That term would not make sense in this context. I'm not sure,
what you mean by 'cvsup' tree.

The repository in FreeBSD-CVS can be used to feed a cvsupd,
additionally you need the collection-specs, which are
available via the 'distrib' collection (yeah, its a bit
recursive... ;-), the self-supfile helps you with that.
Unfortunately, I don't see it any more around, but its really
simple, use '*default release=self' point the base and prefix
to the desired directory (/usr/local/etc/cvsup/freebsd in my
case, but thats implementation detail, too), and fetch
the distrib collection.

[..]
> but the directory structure is confusing me..
>
> so /development/FreeBSD-CVS can be fetched by cvsup, but is NOT the
> cvsupd tree
Wrong assumptoin, it may be the cvsupd tree.

> /branches/* can be fetched by cvsup, but is NOT the cvsupd tree
Hmmm, yes possibly, but you can fetch them from your own machine,
or just check them out via CVS. Since you already have the repository
all data is already contained there. Just use the appropriate
release tags.

> /doc/mailing-lists can be fetched by cvsup ?  or..
Definitely, but the reason for this answer is, that ftp-master
also allows cvsup now. So the whole contents of ftp-master
may also be fetched via cvsup. This may confuse things
a bit. :-} I don't see the mailing-lists beeing maintained
in the CVS tree, and this clearly would make no sense. So
I guess its a sure bet, to assume, you cannot cvsup them from
cvsup-master, or another cvsup-server that uses the repository as
source (and nothing else).

> > The presence and contents of the `supfile.cvsup' files and `sup'
> > directories on ftp-master should be a big clue to you as to how they
> > are maintained.  I personally update the 2.2 tree once a week, and all
>
> in that case, i have this large clue, but not even leverage to swing
> it.
Hmm I suspect, Garret cvsups from ftp-master, which is not that
different from rsyncing from it.

I hope some things are more clear now. Swing the clue^Hb against
me, if I said something seriously wrong.

HTH,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*