Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:11:56 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

* Wrap it in a tiny shellscript :
*
* while [ 1 ]; do
* 	named $*
* done

Or #!/bin/csh
while (1)
	named $argv:q
end

I'm going to do it, but I'm not all that happy about it.

Perhaps an inetd-like program that keeps other programs running?

* > It would be very nice to be able to have a separate configuration for
* > each port that named might bind to.  There are times when I want to
* > serve different information to different nets.  This is particularly
* > handy when building firewalls.
*
* That definitely falls into "you have the source" 8)

True enough, but this is a _Wishlist_, not "here's what I'm working
on list".

Well, the second part of this task is to do IP address rewrites on
the fly.  Give all my dialup users static addresses in a reserved
network and then rewrite them on the fly as needed.

* > Memory efficiency.  The most expensive part of putting a system
* > together at the moment is memory.
*
* What have you identified as the major wasters of memory?  If you're
* running 2.1 or -STABLE, bring malloc.c in from current and recompile
* libc.  This gets you the new phkmalloc, which seems to be somewhat more
* efficient.

Okay, I'll give that a shot.

* > Getty should track modem disconnect codes, reset the modem, and
* > notice incoming faxes.  I've already modified the default getty
* > to notice PPP connects, but that's needed here too.
*
* Modem disconnect coeds are as good as impossible to catch; some modems
* emit then before dropping DCD, so there's no way of knowing that they
* _are_ disconnect codes.  To do this properly would require major
* modifications to the serial driver(s).
*
* mgetty does much of what else you want; it also recognises incoming FNT
* connections.

I didn't want to use mgetty because it locks the port very differently
then everything else in FreeBSD.   It might be nice to have a serial port
interface that allows access to the modem without turning DTR on.  With
such a thing, it might be possible to use mgetty in the background.  It
could set up the modem and tell it to answer and exec a normal getty
for non-fax calls.  (Sounds a bit like faxgetty doesn't it?)

As for the disconnnect codes, with the sportsters if you don't have the
modem reset on DTR drop, you can simply issue an "ati6" command and see
what's up.

I've been thinking about putting a wrapper around the normal getty that
tips to the modem, does an "ati6i4z", records the output, disconnects, and
execs a normal getty.

* > Support for Win95 PPP modes that to autoconfigure DNS server
*
* This would be (AFAIK) in direct violation of a number of the RFC's
* that define PPP.  There was some discussion on this a while back;
* non consensus was reached as I recall.

Optional.  Those of us that have Win95-using customers could hold our
collective noses as we turn it on.

* > Better support for CDROM changers: it would be nice if it figured
* > out a mount point by looking at the disk the way that Solaris does.
*
* Not enough disks have meaningful identifiers; still, this could be
* done with a shellscript.

It doesn't have to choose a good name, just a consistent one.

* > Linux (can be handled by SysV filesystem support because Linux
*
* No it can't, but we already have ext2fs support.

We do???  I guess it must be in -current...

* > Netscape commerce server style sysadmin interface.  (Have you installed
* > netscape's server lately?).  Very good for the system as a whole, for
* > various daemons: apache, samba, inetd, named, innd, sendmail (well, maybe
* > not), gated, etc.
*
* Yetch.  Requires netscape; not necessarily a winner.

Big win.  It makes it easy to administer.  This is the sort of feature
that can wean people away from Windows.

-Dave