Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:38:37 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Subject:   Re: Almost Back...

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:09:57PM +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:

> No, it doesn't. Our typographical rules (as definied by the JO) do.

		Yes; I stand corrected.  Pierre David did say
		that this was a typographical rule.

		What is the JO?  (1) And how necessary is it to
		maintain the colon-space and semicolon-space?

		All (or virtually all) instances that I have encountered
		where this change is necessary are error or warning
		messages; and since I am converting from English: to
		French :, it would be necessary  to hack any scripts
		anyway.   If the *output* involves colons, changing
		the format from (say) ``%s:'' to ``%s :'' is an
		issue.  I don't want to break scripts even if the
		output would be typographically correct.

> > 	I can see the English to French translation of
> >
> > 	``usage:''   to  ``utilisation :''
> >
> > 	perhaps.  Or in usage strings in #3, #4, and #5 below.  Places
> > 	where it would not break any scripts.
>
> "Usage" is correct, but perhaps a little stilted.

	Yup...

> "utilisation" sounds
> a little long but is otherwise OK.
>
> > 	My inclination is to go with ``fin-de-fichier'' to get away
> > 	from a little of the Unix terseness in the French version.
> > 	I wouldn't care for EOF to be rewritten ``end-of-file''
> > 	only because I'm so used to it.
>
> I'd go for "Fin de fichier" without hyphens.

	Agree.

> > > 4 "cmp: les options -l et -s sont exclusives l'une de l'autre.\n"
> > > 4 "cmp: -l et -s ne peuvent ^etre employés simultanément"
> >
> > 	Comments?  (Mine only upon request :)
>
> "cmp: -l et -s ne peuvent être employées simultanément.\n"
>
> (note the extra 'e' in "employées")

	Okay.  I'll send you the translated results when I've got
	this nailed down.  ...

> Put me on the list.

	Done; thanks//merci!

> > 	Yes:: dictionary!  I've used to German variants for ``usage''
> > 	and this needs to be resolved; having an expression-dictionary
> > 	that was agreeable to the majority would have obviated this
> > 	problem.
>
> There exists at least one (very thick) English-French dictionary of EE
> and CS terms, but unfortunately it seems to have been written by an
> electrical engineer with limited computing experience. May be useful
> though. ISTR my mother has a copy.

	:-)

	I would have never imagined there was such a reference.  Seems
	almost surreal somehow.   Do you want to be the Keeper of the
	French translation dictionary?

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no