Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:45:53 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VT320 terminal connection problems

I've got a genuine DEC VT320 that I'm trying to hook up to a FreeBSD
box.  I've got the MMJ to 25-pin serial connector, so the physical
connection is no problem, but I can't get any communication between
the FreeBSD box and the VT.

I've edited /etc/ttys and inserted an entry for ttyd1 (and I've tried
ttyd0 too):

ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

I set vt100 compatibility mode on the 320, thinking it might be easier
to achieve communication, after vt300 mode didn't work, with no luck.

The VT320 is set up as follows: VT100 mode, VT100 ID, Transmit=9600,
Receive=Transmit, XOFF at 64, 8bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no auto
answerback.  I've also tried No XOFF and XOFF at 128.

The FreeBSD box is using a standard termcap and gettytab.  It's got a
modem at cuaa0 (which is why I've mainly been trying ttyd1).  Running
FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE.

Thanks for any help.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                 Bureaucrats cut red tape -- lengthwise.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com