Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 11:10:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Drifter <drifter@stratos.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking advice on SCSI tape drive

On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 12:01:45PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Drifter wrote:
>
>> 	I am not ready to fork out a large amount of cash right now. But I
>> am interested in getting some advice in advance on what scsi DDS tape drives
>> will work with my Adaptech 1520 card. (SCSI II)
>> 	In a release notes file, I noticed that they said that
>> there was "weak support" for this card -- yet it works just fine with my
>> ZIP drive. Would I be looking for trouble if I got a DDS for that type.
>> 	In any case, I am looking for a replacement for my Iomega Ditto
>> Floppy Tape drive -- since apparently there is no driver for it and people
>> here, apparently, have some moral problems with floppy drives :)
>> 	BTW, I am using FreeBSD 2.2.5.
>> 	PS: Any advice an SCSI hard drives -- I am looking for the right
>> balance between size (500 MB minumum -- 2 GIG maximum) and price. Thanks
>
> The Connor tapes may interest you.  We have a 4GB tape drive that works
> fine that was $399, I think.  That was a couple of years ago.

It must have been.  Conner got bought out by Archive.  Archive got
bought out by Seagate.  There are lots of Archive DDS drives and
changers still floating around, though.  The opinions are mixed: I'm
completely satisfied with mine, but others have reported big problems,
which may be related to different firmware.

Greg