Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:36:45 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reminder:  Just 7 days till 4.2 code freeze!

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 15:22 -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> As scheduled, we will enter code freeze on the RELENG_4 branch
> of src on November 1st.  Any ports or docs freezes are still up
> to the respective *meisters (Satoshi/Nik) to schedule and I'm
> sure they'll make their own announcements when the time comes.

Digging in my "private list", I can see the following:

PR 21017 (mtree) definitely needs to be MFCed.  mtree is broken
in -STABLE regarding symlinks due to a typo / wrongly passed
argument.  -CURRENT was corrected in mid September.  Leaving this
unfixed could turn out as a showstopper where tripwire like IDS's
fail (and abort their job!) at the very first symlink.

PR 21990 (incorrect exec(3) manpage) could need some attention
since I feel this discrepancy to be somewhat security related
while it misinforms people (that's why I felt like categorizing
it as "serious").  Just tell me if it's the doc or the source
that's wrong (I hope the doc is) and I will provide a patch.
This should speed up the closing of this PR.

PR 20202 (ipf invoked from rc.network) would be a good candidate
for an MFC.  I understand quite a number of FreeBSD users have
ipf running (either instead of ipfw or even besides it).  This
patch was committed in -CURRENT on October 6th and I haven't seen
_any_ negative reaction but quite some demand for something like
this in the release (and I raised the question quite a few times
in public whether this extension still has something missing or
does its good intensions in the wrong and maybe dangerous way, I
could even have bothered or annoyed some of you).  I - speaking
as the originator - feel this PR to be complete, correct and
implemented cleanly.  Feel free to disagree, but unless I hear
something different I will keep thinking I did it OK :) and
others could estimate this feature being in the release.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net