Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 00:05:20 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Fri 2000-09-08 (22:53), Matthew Thyer wrote:
> > The startup and shutdown functionality would be in the same script
> > and the scripts should be named starting with a capital 'S' for
> > startup and a capital 'K' for shutdown (I'm also keen on the HPUX
> > startmsg and stopmsg one liners).
>
> Why not just use chmod +x or chmod -x, like we do already?  This means
> not having to rename things.

You could do either with my scheme.

> > Stop scripts will be a symbolic link to their startup script
> > counterpart (and would simply not be executed if the K* file doesn't
> > exist).  Symbolic links make it clear they are the same script.
>
> I don't see the point.

The point is that people are worried about scripts that aren't aware
of the "start" and "stop" argument trying to start apps again at
shutdown time.  With my scheme, the script wont be executed at shutdown
time if the K* script doesn't exist.

> > Scripts would be executed in alphabetical order (after the S or K)
> > so the sysadmin has control over the execution order which is
> > important.
>
> I'd prefer a dependency based system.  (cf. Eivind Eklund's newrc, at
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~eivind/newrc.tar.gz)

I haven't looked at this yet but off the top of my head, a dependency
based system sounds overly complicated (consider ports authors) and
unecessarily different from other systems.

> > I'd also really like at least named and perl to be removed from the
> > base system but that's another thread.
>
> I'll comment when you bring it up.  Warning: perl is necessary for
> kernel builds.

I know but I'm pretty keen on awk and would like all the perl dependencies
to be re-written with awk or other tools as I dislike FreeBSD being
dependent on such a beast as perl which should only exist as a port.
Just look at the pain of getting perl 5.6.0 into the system.  I know the
perl lovers will hate me but I thinks its worth having some ugly awk to
get away from elegant perl being required in the base system.

I'd go further to say that the whole base OS needs to be more modularised
ala Solaris and Linux especially since we dont have an established binary
patch process.  Its pretty hard to sell FreeBSD to my work masters when the
only patch method is source code patches or a complete rebuild of -STABLE
or just wait until the next release.  A more modular system could be
upgraded more easily.

> Neil
> --
> Neil Blakey-Milner