Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:12:41 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RME 96xx with FreeBSD

/-- Steven Campbell wrote:
| Hi, I would like my RME Digi96/8 working under FreeBSD.
|
| I'm currently running FreeBSD 5.0 on an SMP Pentium Pro box.
|
| I haven't seen anything more recent than Daniel Pouzzner's comments (
| douzzer@mega.nu ) in May 2000. You can view it by googling for "freebsd
| rme".
|
| I have read and understand the RME 96xx driver from ALSA, but I don't
| want to get involved in porting the ALSA stuff, since FreeBSD's pcm
| seems to be well-written.
|
| I would like to get the ALSA drivers working under FreeBSD, keeping in
| mind GPL vs. FreeBSD kernel copyright issues.
|
| Wondering if somebody could share any notes or pages on porting ALSA or
| OSS sound drivers to FreeBSD's pcm driver.

I'd recommend taking a look at Bruce Montague's Geode driver code - it's
heavily commented and gives a pretty clear indication of what needs to be done
to write a newpcm driver:
	http://63.249.85.132/gx_audio/index.html

There's a skeleton driver under:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~cg/template.c

And plenty of examples under:
	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/sound/pci

There are notes in the handbook on writing device drivers:
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/driverbas
ics.html

Obviously it'd be helpful to have register specs for the h/w in addition to
the ALSA source.

Kind Regards
- Orion