Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:56:34 +0800
From:      Ladislav Bodnar <distro.watch@msa.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can pf block illegal relay access attempts?

Hi,

Over the last 7 days my Postfix mail server received almost 80,000 requests
to relay mail to a third destination. Since it is not an open relay, it
rejected all these requests, but it is still annoying to see this
happening. The requests came from varying (almost 20,000 different) IP
addresses, but they had one thing in common - the destination address was
always "$some-user-name"@infomagic.com.

Is there a way to prevent these attempts to access the mail server at all? I
only started using pf recently, so I still have a lot to learn, but I would
appreciate any advice. Or is pf not the right tool for this?

Thanks a lot for your help.