Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:21:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Christopher Taylor <chris@earthbroadcasting.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape backup solutions

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Christopher Taylor wrote:

> I'm thinking about using the Spectra-Logic AIT TreeFrog product for
> backups under FreeBSD. Below is a list of backup software that works
> with this product.
>
> http://www.spectralogic.com/isv/TreeFrogpartners.htm
>
> Do any of you have experience with this, or any other tape library
> hardware under FreeBSD? Can I use this product or am I stuck with using
> a single AIT-2 drive?

I've worked with TreeFrogs and found them to be somewhat fitful in their
operations.  From a hardware standpoint, they aren't as reliable as, say,
a comparable Exabyte or Qualstar product.  However, their price may
outweigh their occasional problems.  Search for Spectra in the
freebsd-scsi mailing list for some references.

Personally, I would highly recommend Exabyte or Qualstar.  I know Qualstar
supports the AIT-2's (and both the AIT-1's).  In addition, most SCSI
changers should be supported under FreeBSD using chio(1) and ch(4).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.