Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:24:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: cname replace in mail address? [off-topic] (Re: Attn Ronald Klop)

On 08/27/2010 01:03 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
> offtopic, but why do some mailers replace a CNAME in a mail-address?
>
> root@sheeva2:/var/vmail# host klop.yi.org
> klop.yi.org CNAME thuis.klop.ws
> thuis.klop.ws A 212.123.145.58
>
> It is not the first time that I'm bitten by this, but I never understood
> it.

You've already received all the right answers but I figured I'd respond
too since this is my area. Given that klop.yi.org is a CNAME, and that
the target hostname (thuis.klop.ws) has no MX record, the fact that you
receive any mail at all is a tribute to the robustness principle. :)

If you're going to receive mail at thuis.klop.ws then you should really
have an MX record for it. See http://dougbarton.us/DNS/MX.html for more
information if you need more information or references to the standards.
The simplest way to solve your mail delivery problem is to have the
@hostname refer to a canonical host (I.e., with an A and/or AAAA record)
which also has an MX record. If you insist on using klop.yi.org the
_best_ way to do that would be to duplicate those 2 records from
thuis.klop.ws. By adding an MX to thuis you are more likely to get mail
if klop.yi.org is a CNAME to it, even though it's still not "right."

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso