Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:53:11 +1000
From:      Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
To:        =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Nejc_=8Akoberne?= <nejc@skoberne.net>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make package-recursive

On 10/07/2007, at 7:41 PM, Nejc =8Akoberne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to create a custom set of packages, so that they will
> be installable to my other FreeBSD boxen.
>
> As I understand, I have to use 'make package-recursive', but I have
> some problems with it:
>
> 1. Is there a way to tell 'make package-recursive' not to _install_
>    package, but only build it? It is annonying and time-consuming
>    to deinstall every package after it is installed.
> 2. To refer to the previous point: I need to deinstall the packages
>    which I 'make package-recursive'-ed before, or else some other
>    package which also depends on a port which is already installed
>    will not include that (already installed) package. How to change
>    this behaviour? I would like that the packages, which I create
>    via 'make package-recursive', _always_ include _all_ other
>    dependent packages.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> P.S.: Do you guys have any scripts for building a customized package
> set?

You have to install a package in order to build it, since the package =20=

is built from the installed files.  Some level of transformation and =20
rearrangement occurs during the install process, so there's no easy =20
way to package without installing.

You can look in to using tinderbox (available from ports) to build =20
packages inside a jail.