Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 16:49:20 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing snafu in 3.1 may lead to my death

Morgan Davis wrote:

> I read the 3.1 release notes about ppbus and ppc replacing the "now
> deprecated lpt", and as instructed, I read the man pages aloud as an
> incantation.  I looked through MAKEDEV to find a device target for nlpt, but
> there is none.  I hunted around through kernel sources looking for major and
> minor device numbers for nlpt so I could do my own mknod, etc.  I tried
> using ppi0 instead of lpt0 (not allowed).  So it's all been a fruitless
> exercise.  As you can see, the level of desparation has sent me back here
> where the Geniuses hang out.

IIRC, the device used is still lpt0.

BTW, the "now deprecated lpt" can *still* be used in -stable,
instead of the new ppbus stuff.

That said, changing "net" to "tty" as suggested by someone else
usually produce good results.

And, just in case it works, and you get ready to ask why that is not
the default, a power that be once mentioned that you need it to be
"net" to be able to install through the parallel port using slip.
Since GENERIC is the kernel used to install the system, it has to be
able to support slip by default.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"