Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:54:19 +0100
From:      Yannack <yannick_bre@yahoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting the pcm driver

Hello all,
I am a newcomer both to this list and freebsd.
In my quest of installing FreeBSD 5.3 as a desktop properly, I would now
like to setup the sound properly. I have the Vchans setup in
sysctl.conf, it looks good. Now the only thing I have left is I'd like
to set my microphone to default in stereo, 44100 Hz sampling. I think
that the default is 8000Hz, mono which is not a value which works with
my setup and causes Skype to produce the weirdest noises to my friends.
As Skype doesn't let us toggle this setting, I am wondering if  the
default can be changed? Or if anybody has a trick for at least setting
it in Skype?
I read in the handbook I could use hints.pcm.0.vol to set the volume.
Maybe there is a way to set other things with hints, like the stereo? If
so what are the parameter names? Where can I find a list of these? I
tried google, bsdforums.org, the man pages, and the handbook. No
success... Any ideas? Thanks!
Yannack