Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 18:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kristyn Fayette <kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Networking / Routing question

Hiya,

  I've installed a FreeBSD system (2.1 Release) as my gateway to the Internet.
I'm having an impossible time getting the routing set up correctly.  Here's
a simple diagram of my setup:

         56k Frame Relay
WAN Side ----------------[Router]----------------{FreeBSD}------------ LAN Side
                                               ed1       ed0
                        x.x.x.253        x.x.x.252       x.x.x.251     x.x.x.35
                                         0x300 irq 11    0x280 irq5

  The problem I'm having is that I can't ping the router from a login on
the FreeBSD machine.  I also can't ping ed1.  I keep getting the message
that the host is down.  What I thought I had to do to get this to work was:
	ifconfig ed0 inet x.x.x.251
	ifconfig ed1 inet x.x.x.252 x.x.x.253
	route add x.x.x.251 localhost
	route add default x.x.x.253

  Can anyone help me with this?  Is it that my router MUST be on a different
network?  Is there any way to get it to work in this configuration?  I
also don't have GATEWAY compiled into my kernel nor Gateway set to YES in
/etc/sysconfig.  Are they absolutely necessary?  I'm trying to use this
machine as a bastion host firewall.

  Any help will really be appreciated.  I had to have this working yesterday,
of course.

						-----Kris

--
                    -=(*)=-   Kristyn Fayette   -=(*)=-