Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 00:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Jason Garman <garman@earthling.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Richard Stallman came to town

On 15-May-99 Jason Garman wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 09:08:01AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> And you are confusing practical with technically possible.  If one customer
>> takes your source and puts it up an ftp server and announces it to the
>> world,
>> then you just lost a very good portion of your sales.
>>
> ... and this is somehow different from someone posting binaries on an ftp
> server and announcing it to the world?  why does source suddenly make this
> so much more of a threat?  if nothing more, the binaries would be more of
> a threat because they usually have a flashy installer utility and such
> included, while the straight source release probably won't.

I have legal recourse against someone who pirates my software.  I don't if it's
released under the GPL.  Also, binaries are only for one platform, source is
usable on many more platforms than a binary.  Source also tells more about your
product and ideas than a binary.  I have to have some stuff that people are
willing to buy so I can eat, and if they can get it free, they won't be willing
to by.  Besides, hasn't the entire open source movement shown you why source is
more of a "threat"?

> --
> Jason Garman                                        http://jasongarman.com/
> Student, University of Maryland                        garman@earthling.net