Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 03:33:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about boot loaders

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Thu 1999-12-09 (02:46), Robert Watson wrote:
> > Once we get into boot2 land, I recognize the FreeBSD-specific loading
> > code, etc.  What I don't know much about is those first three 512-byte
> > chunks of code.  Boot0 appears to be booteasy, but given some ignorance
> > about the i386 boot process, I'm not sure whether it's loaded by mbr, or
> > by the bios, and where it lives partition-wise.  Similarly, how boot1 fits
> > into it the whole scheme--I assume this is FreeBSD-specific as it knows
> > about boot2, but don't know where it lives, etc.  Preferably, afterwards,
> > also drop the results into sys/boot/i386/README. :-)
>
> I wrote up some basic stuff, which doesn't seem quite to describe
> what you're after, but which may be of use, at
> http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/boot/
>
> It's intended for the handbook, but I haven't had time since starting
> my new job to work on it much more.

Looks interesting, but doesn't seem to mention the mbr/mbr.s code, and I'm
not sure how this fit into the picture.  There seem to be three 512-byte
chunks of code:

-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel     512 Sep 16 18:46 mbr
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel     512 Sep 16 18:46 boot0
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel     512 Sep 16 18:46 boot1
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    7680 Sep 16 18:46 boot2
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  131072 Sep 16 18:46 loader*

When there were two of them, I understood pretty much what was going on.
Now there are three, and I clearly haven't been keeping a close enough eye
on what is going on, because now I'm confused whereas previously I wasn't
:-).

  Robert N M Watson