Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:03:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange things afoot

Hi,

> I'm installing bisdn-0.97 on FreeBSD 2.2.2, I've used the mkbisdntree
> script and patches which are supposedly for current.
> Anyway, this isn't the bit that's out of the ordinary (much).
>
> mkbisdntree makes a huge symbolic link tree to the normal /sys but with
> some alterations. So I go into /bisdn/i386/conf and edit a configuration
> file, run config on it and it makes a compile directory.
>
> So I then go into that directory and do a make depend. After I've then
> installed all the extra bits of code it needs which mkbisdntree didn't put

Which `extra bits of code' are you refering to? The only files that are
needed for compilation and are not installed by mkbisdntree are
/usr/sys.bisdn/i386/include/bisdn_ioctl.h
and
/usr/sys.bisdn/i386/include/bisdn_isdn.h

Instead these files are copied to /usr/include/machine which in turn is a
symbolic link to /sys/i386/include once you did a ``make world'' on your
machine.

So these files are `missing' only on a system that never was used for
``make world''.

This is interesting, because ``make world'' is considered to be a very
good hardware tester, and your problems might be hardware caused. So if
you have about 250 Mbyte left on your /usr partition give it a try and
see what happens.

> in place it starts giving out
>
> (cpp) died with signal 6.
>
> After a few of these errors (about 20 in a row) make then dies with signal
> 11.
>
> I get this a lot, this is because ffs_extern.h somehow seems to get
> completely corrupted in the patching process, although I can't find
> anything in the patches which actually touches this file.
>
> After fixing ffs_extern.h back to what it should be it compiles again, but
> then halfway through I invariably end up with make exiting on signal 11.
>
> At this point I usually find it's best to reboot, as everything starts
> dieing with segmentation faults or bus errors. (Last time I decided not
> reboot I ended up with ls/cd not even working.)
>
> I've been using /usr mounted async for this, but I'm not sure that's the
> problem. The problems only start occuring once cpp has crashed really
> badly on ffs_extern.h, until that point everything is fine.
>
> Once I've rebooted, it seems to be okay again, (/usr is not mounted async
> by default so it's back to normal there) and I'm now able to finish making
> the kernel.
>
> So, my question is, does anyone know what might be causing this, I don't
> think this is likely to be a problem with my hardware as everything works
> fine up to this point and I ran this box with various 3.0 snapshots and X
> and played quake on it for a few hours a day for about a month without
> problems (well, it was my desktop machine for quite some time, and I'm
> pretty sure I used every bit of hardware quite thoroughly.)
>
> I'm thinking this is perhaps being caused by async mounting and excessive
> use of soft links, as that's the only thing that's actually different to
> the normal everyday use that this box has been subjected too.
>
> Steve Roome
> Vision Interactive Ltd.

Wolfgang