Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:21:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Kevin Anderson <watieri@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem - Hardware Detection

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Kevin Anderson wrote:

> Hi, I hope that this will be enough information:
>
> Background:
>
> I purchased a book called "FreeBSD Unleased" yesterday and used the CD that came with it to begin installing FreeBSD 4.4.
>
> Steps Taken:
>
> I chose to install FreeBSD 4.4 using by creating the 2 boot floppies
on a seperate Windows98 box from the CD that came with the book.
I used the boot.flp for the first disk and mfsroot.flp for the second floppy.

I assume you really used kern.flp, not boot.flp.  boot.flp is a 2.88-size
image for 2.88 floppy drives (which few of us have) and is also used as
the image the boots from a CD.

[Wish you'd do carriage returns here so the responder doesn't have to
put them in for you....]

[snip]

Anyway, somewhere you say it's hanging at plip0.  Try, in visual kernel
config at the start of the install, commenting out the ppp0 device,
since that's the parallel port driver that seems to be giving you
trouble.  Don't comment out too much else (ethernet cards you don't
have and probably scsi can be commented out).

I heard of someone else having this problem with 4.4; I'm not sure
why.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC