Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:53:54 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who writes the esoteric scientific Unix apps?

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:07:14PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
>=20
> We hear so often that high-end Unix worstations are used for advanced
> scientific applications.  The biggest of the big iron usually goes to
> weather/finance forecasting and especially nuclear research.
>=20
> Who writes these apps?  Specialized software companies or in-house
> developers?

Most high-end scienTific apps are written by scientists.  Some very
large, later generation applications have software engineers and computer
scientists involved, but in general it's actual scientists who write
the majority of the code.

> Are they batch-based, command line apps or GUI driven?

Most of the computation can be started from a command line, but the mode
of operation varies from applications which take a single set of inputs
and run for days on hundreds of nodes to applications where a script
feeds multiple runs into a batch queueing system.  Generally, there is a
visualzation component, but how it works varies significantly.  Some
systems visualize after computation, others allow visualization during,
and yet other have interactive visualzations which steer the
computation.  There's no one true way.

-- Brooks

--=20

--huq684BweRXVnRxX