Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:42:33 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changed to: Frac T3?

>On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>
>> What I was saying was that I dont thing unix can route a steady
>> 86Mbs data stream, so a full T3 on a unix box may very well be
>> overkill.
>
>Hmmm...Apparently you are not aware of the Ascend GRF 400.
>http://www.ascend.com/products/grf400/grf400index.html

Perhaps you haven't read it yourself? They are certainly not running anything
similar to standard unix....they "cheat" by maintaining on-board caches so
packets don't have to pass through the IP layer, as BSD design requires.
Certainly you can do something similar for BSD systems, but it won't
be a standard release O/S afterwards. Such things are OK if you are building
a special-function system, but non highly desireable for general purpose O/Ss

Dennis