Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:34:48 -0500
From:      "Dennis Mathiasen" <dennisma@adelphia.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Installation issues with 4.6.1 RC2

> > > I have a strong feeling that this has to do
> > with the fact that these
> > > systems have an i586 architecture, in contrast
> > with the Celeron that has
> > > an i686 architecture. But of course it could be
> > something completely
> > > different...
> > >
> > > Has anybody else tried the installation on an
> > i586 based system ?
>
> Yes, but the problem is also in STABLE.  I did
> buildworld on a p3 with CPUTYPE=i586. (removed
> /usr/obj/ and did: make cleandir && make clean \
> && make clean)
>
> 4.6-RELEASE installed just fine on the 586, but
> upgrading to stable via NFS from the p3 system
> failed.  I tried re-compiling and installing
> cp, install and make directly on the target
> system but got the same error.
>
> I'm trying again right now by removing /usr/src
> ( and /usr/obj/*) entirely.

I did a buildworld using CPUTYPE=i586 on a p3
and tried to upgrade from 4.6-RELEASE in a 586 via
nfs, which failed.  I then did an install on the p3
of the i586 build.  Then I did a buildworld again,
still with CPUTYPE=i586.  After fixing some problems
with libtelnet.a not having been built (which didn't
break the install on the p3, but did on the 586), an
nfs install worked.

Could it be that the first buildworld was linking
against the system (p3) C libraries and not the new
ones?  I'm not familiar enough with the code to
find this.

Dennis Mathiasen
dennisma@adelphia.net