Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:53:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Suggestion for laptop suspension

In message <200008290605.XAA28354@sharmas.dhs.org> Arun Sharma writes:
: On my laptop, suspending to disk is slow.  It takes a whole minute, and
: another minute to unsuspend--if all of core is in use.  But it is much
: faster when I do it not too long after the system was booted, when it has
: not yet managed to use up most of core.
:
: This suggests that it could be nice to make the kernel empty its caches, and
: mark all that core "unused", when a suspend is about to happen.  I don't
: know the details of how suspension works, so I am not sure this is possible,
: but I think there are hooks for doing something in the kernel before a
: suspend.

no.  that's not how things work.  suspend is in the bios and has no
clue about what is or isn't used, so it always does the whole thing.

Warner