Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:31:47 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
To:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, are all the panics fixed now?

No way: SA 03:08 - 03:11, http://www.freebsd.org/security/#adv

> >It's simple: we need to backout all these untested MFCs.
>
>    Or fix the bugs.  I don't know anything about the code in question, but
> now that people are getting repeatable panics, I assume that tracking down
> the bugs will be rather easier.
>
>    There was a time when STABLE absolutely needed to be stable, but I'm not
> sure that's necessarily the case any more; now that we have all the
> release/security branches, I think it's safe to say that most systems which
> need absolute stability aren't going to be running STABLE.

We do have -CURRENT already.

Look, believe you or not but there are people including me who trying
to run -STABLE in a production environment.  No sense in tracking
RELENG_4_8 because it has some serious bugs, kern/53717 and kern/50803
f.e.  No sense in 4.9-REL in such bad quality too.

--
Maxim Konovalov, maxim@macomnet.ru, maxim@FreeBSD.org