Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:22:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        remy@synx.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge SCSI configs

Remy Nonnenmacher wrote...
> I am looking for advices about building a fearly huge SCSI config.
>
> The config would be :
>
> - 4 SCSI chains (2x3950U2W planned)

That should work okay, as long as you use -current or -stable *after* March
23rd.  I've got one in my test box, and it seems to work fine.  I haven't
pushed it much, though.

One thing to be careful about is what sort of slot you put this thing in.
If you get a motherboard with only 32-bit slots, you need to make sure that
the back end of the PCI slots is thin enough to handle a 64-bit PCI card.

There was one machine that I tried to put my 3950 into that it wouldn't fit
in, because the back end of the slot was too thick.  It worked fine in two
other machines, though.

> - 12 18.2 GB per chain (48 totals disks)

Well, first off, make sure you get IBM or Seagate, and make sure you get
one of their high end drives.  (not that they're making low-end 18 gig
drives yet, AFAIK)  I've had direct experience with the 18G Seagate
Cheetah II's and IBM Ultrastar 18XP's.  They both work fine.  My guess is
that the IBM Ultrastar 18ZX would work well, too.

You should be okay with most any 18G IBM or Seagate disk.

But 12 per chain?  Assuming these are all Ultra2 LVD, you're still pushing
things a bit as far as SCSI bus bandwidth is concerned.  For instance, the
IBM Ultrastar 18ZX runs at about 23MB/sec on the outer tracks according to
IBM's web site.

With that sort of performance, you wouldn't be able to get maximum
performance out of the disks if had more than 3 on an Ultra 2 chain.

You'll also have to start worrying about PCI bus bandwidth and memory
bandwidth, depending on what sort of motherboard you get.

So, one question I have is this -- are you looking for maximum disk
performance, or just a lot of disk space?  If you're just looking for a lot
of disk space, why not go with 36GB drives?  NECX (www.necx.com) is selling
IBM Ultrastar 36XP's for $1400.  The Ultrastar 18ES is selling for $775.
So, it would be cheaper to go with a 36G drive.  (FWIW, I know that the
36XP's work just fine, but I haven't seen any 18ES drives yet.  I'd imagine
they work fine as well.)

> - one Gigabit ethernet link

Isn't there only one gigabit ethernet driver (Alteon?) at the moment?  You
should probably ask Bill Paul how it works.  You may also want to ask David
Greenman about this, since I think he mentioned on -current a while back
that he was working on a Gigabit Ethernet driver as well.

> - SMP (Quad-Xeon or Bi-P2)

Considering the monster you're trying to build, I'd say go for a board
that'll get you 64-bit PCI and high memory bandwidth.  My guess is that a
Quad Xeon board from Intel might do the trick.  Ask Mike Smith about these,
they had (have??) one at Walnut Creek, I think.

From looking at Intel's web page, it looks like you should probably be
looking at the AC450NX and the AD450NX servers.  You may want to find
someone who has one of these, or has tried one out before buying.

> Advices wanted (do/don't).

I would advise that you thoroughly research things before you buy any
hardware.  The hardware you're looking at is cutting edge, but there are
folks who have "been there, done that" with each item you listed above.
If you buy the wrong thing, you can potentially waste a whole lot of money.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com