Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:13:33 -0500
From:      Roger <rnodal@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting after Make Install....

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Diego Montalvo <dmontalvo@gmail.com> wrote=
:
> Been using FreeBSD for a long time now, but have never really been
> sure if FreeBSD needs to be restarted after installing a Port or Ports
> using "make install clean"? =A0What is the best practice... Used to
> restarting Windows for everything...
>
> Diego

I'm not a FreeBSD expert so I cannot speak about what is considered
"best pratices" but I never restart my server after doing a port
install/reinstall/upgrade/removal. I guess the only time you will need
to do that is when your port may be a kernel module that cannot be
unloaded/reloaded without causing major problems.

-r