Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:00:39 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 09:51:42AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>=20

> >>   This is not right.  Here's what you should be doing:
> >>
> >>        vi stable-supfile
> >>        cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile
> >>        cd /usr/src
> >>        make buildworld
> >>        make buildkernel KERNCONF=3D<your kernel name here>
> >>        make installkernel
> >>        shutdown -r now
> >>        # (make sure the system comes up)
> >>        shutdown -r now
> >>        # (come up in single-user mode this time)
> >>        make installworld
> >>        mergemaster
> >>        shutdown -r now
> >>        # (come up normally this time)
> >>
> >>These steps have been documented in /usr/src/UPDATING since 4.0.  This
> >>is the only supported procedure for upgrading your system from source.
> >>

> >... that is _guaranteed_ to work (modulo the ``mergemaster -p'' step).
> >At different times, a simple "make world kernel" may work, but it is
> >not guaranteed to.
>=20
>=20
> Ruslan,
>=20
> Did you look at Ronneil's installworld log=20
> (http://restricted.dyndns.org/error.txt).
>=20
Nope, ENOTIME.

> Why would it be trying to create osreldate.h during the install. Could=20
> make think it is old because of system time or something?
>=20
The usual roots of this problem are:

- system date/time is set incorrectly

  Fix: consult with date(1)

- some sources have modtime pointing to the future
  (this could happen if system date/time was set
  incorrectly during the update of the sources)

  Fix: find /usr/src -mtime -0

- something has changed in-between of buildworld
  and installworld

  Fix: make -DNOCLEAN buildworld

Cheers,
--=20