Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:13:00 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCHED_ULE should not be the default

On 12/12/2011 13:47, O. Hartmann wrote:

>> Not fully right, boinc defaults to run on idprio 31 so this isn't an
>> issue. And yes, there are cases where SCHED_ULE shows much better
>> performance then SCHED_4BSD. [...]
>
> Do we have any proof at hand for such cases where SCHED_ULE performs
> much better than SCHED_4BSD? Whenever the subject comes up, it is
> mentioned, that SCHED_ULE has better performance on boxes with a ncpu >
> 2. But in the end I see here contradictionary statements. People
> complain about poor performance (especially in scientific environments),
> and other give contra not being the case.
It all a little old now but some if the stuff in
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/
covers improvements that were seen.

http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/5705.html
shows a little too, reading though Jeffs blog is worth it as it has some
interesting stuff on SHED_ULE.

I thought there were some more benchmarks floating round but cant find
any with a quick google.

Vince