Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:52:12 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dick@nagual.nl
Subject:   Re: AHCI driver

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 03:23:29PM +0100, Arthur Chance wrote:
> If you're in single user mode "mount -uw /" will make / (and thus=20
> /etc/fstab) writable, although your choice of editors is restricted to=20
> /bin/ed and /rescue/{ex,vi}.

Of course I tried that, and it did _not_ work! I'm not sure why, but it was
when running a 8.0-RELEASE userland on a 8.1-RELEASE kernel. (I was trying =
run 'make installworld' after booting in single user mode during the upgrade
process). After booting with the old 8.0 kernel it did work!

> Alternatively, before switching to the ahci driver, label all your=20
> partitions and mount them using their labels rather than device names.

This is probably a better idea.

But people should note the difference between
using 'tunefs -L' and 'glabel label'! The latter uses the last section of t=
he
provider to store metadata, so in that case one should _only_ create a
filesystem on the labeled device!
=20
> That way the change in device names won't matter. Just be careful of the=
=20
> gotcha with labelling the root partition.

What do you mean?

Roland
--=20

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l