Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:47:59 +0500
From:      Sergey Gershtein <sg@ur.ru>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[3]: Strange lock-ups during backup over nfs after adding 1024M RAM

On Thursday, January 24, 2002 you wrote:
>> It's already set to 512, is it too high?  We did not rebuild the
>> kernel after adding memory, it worked fine with maxusers 512 and
>> 1024M RAM.

DW> Yes. You've scaled the tables so large that when you double the RAM, the
DW> page tables + maxusers 512 tables > KVM.

DW> Also, there are problems going from 1GB to 2GB on early 4.4-STABLE ...
DW> when did you build last?

It was last rebuilt on September 28th.  I'm going to re-cvsup 4.4-STABLE
today and rebuild everything with maxusers 128.  Thanks!

>> maxusers    512

DW> Drop this to 128, definitely.  If you're doing a lot of network, monitor
DW> your mbuf usage and override that if necessary.

It's a rather heavily loaded web server (average of 25 requests/sec,
100kb/sec), so I guess it's a lot of network. Could you please point
me to the right direction where to read about mbuf monitoring?  I
found some info in the Handbook (6.10 Tuning Kernel Limits), but there
are not much unfortunately.