Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:35:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        todd@gov.com (Todd)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA is now available.

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > BOCA BB2016 16 port serial card using shared IRQ (Has neen supported
> > > for ages)
> >
> > Thanks, added.
> >
> > 					Jordan
> >
> Actually, I've been using just such an adapter with 2.0.5-RELEASE and a
> kernel config file that someone helped me generate.  I saw mention of the
> board being used by someone on the mailing list archives on
> www.freebsd.org, and emailed the person for help on doing it myself.  I
> have to admit, though, neither of us have gotten around to testing ports
> beyond the first 8.  Still, the Boca 8-port board (and 4-port for that
> matter) doesn't have carrier detect lines, so the 16-port board is the
> only one they make that works with modems.  I got the thing because I'm
> too cheap to get a RisCom or Cyclades or Digi, but at the time I had need
> of more than 4 ports...

I have clients with 2 and 3 of these cards in one system running 32 and
48 ports respectifully.  It will work for you when you go above your
current 4 port utilization.

You are correct about the 8 port not having modem control, but I think
the (not positive here) the 4 port does.  If not I _know_ the 6 port
board does.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD