Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:22:42 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011424962.3a5cfb@mired.org>
To:        "Matt Lazarou" <optical_longhaul@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CLR for FreeBSD 4.4-stable and a C# Compiler.

Matt Lazarou <optical_longhaul@hotmail.com> types:
> I picked up a book on C# Programming.  C# is a langauge derived from C and
> C++, but it was created from the ground up.  However, you don't need a C#
> editor to write the programs in.

C# is MS's response to not being able to add Windows-specific
extensions to Java. That's why you can replace "C#" in your
description with "Java", and it's still correct. BTW, any programming
language that requires a specific editor to write programs in should
be rm'ed. The authors should be shot, but such leniency is only
allowed for the first offense.

> I used emacs and edit to write a simple
> program, but i can not compile the program.  C# programs are created to run
> on Common Langauge Runtime (CLR).    I was wondering if FreeBSD had a
> compatiable CLR runtime so i could execute the program. I did a query for it
> on google and got some results but most of the information wasn't to clear
> MS has released a CLR for FreeBSD yet to execute C# programs.

MS has indicated they would do that, but I have no idea if they
have. You'd have to check with MS about that.

The pnet port includes a C# compiler and runtime. I have no idea if
the VM it uses is CLR or not.

> Another problem i'm having is compiling C# Source Code.  IE the extensionsto
> create the IL file you have to use the .cs naming convention so i named my
> file ie: hello.cs
>
> When i open a terminal to compile the source file called hello.cs i type:
>
> csc hello.cs

In pnet - the only C# compiler in the ports - it looks like the
compiler is called cscc, not csc.

> Has anyone else tryed C# Programming on freebsd if so any help would be
> greatly apperciated.

Nope, I haven't tried C#. If you really want to learn a new language,
Java probably has better job prospects, at least for a while. Eiffel
is the only language I've run into that manages to get OO right, and
studying it is a learning experience in and of itself. I just wish I
could find an Eiffel compiler with CORBA bindings for FreeBSD.

	<mike