Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:14:18 -0400
From:      "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB devices fail to re-attach on 6.2

On 3/31/07, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now I don't even mount it. I boot the system up, insert the drive,
give it a few seconds, and then remove it. After I've done this once,
attaching the drive a second time doesn't work.

> - Max

Ok, I think I figured it out. Here's basically what I was doing... Besides
my flash drive, I had a usb hard drive (Vantec NexStar 2.5" enclosure)
connected to the laptop. FreeBSD was installed onto the USB hard drive,
because I wanted to download the source and put just the things I needed
onto the actual laptop drive. That, and I was also doing full-disk
encryption using GELI, so I needed an external OS to do this work. At this
point in time, I have the system running from the build-in drive, which
means that I can disconnect the usb one. Guess what happens when that drive
is removed? Everything works normally again. I can connect and disconnect
the flash drive as many times as I want and it works every time. But as soon
as I connect the Vantec enclosure, even if I don't use it, I can only
connect the flash drive once. After that, we're back to the original
problem.

Does anyone have a guess as to why the external enclosure would cause this
sort of a problem? Could it be consuming too much power (but then why is the
flash drive detected the first time)?

- Max