Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:05:10 +0930
From:      Jarrod Sayers <Jarrod.Sayers@unisa.edu.au>
To:        "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'buga@lemis.com'" <buga@lemis.com>
Subject:   PostgreSQL 7.2 hanging CPU

On a system running 4.6-R with all its packages upgraded by portupgrade there
appears to be a problem with PostgreSQL.  A monitoring program is started up
when the machine boots which monitors machines on our network and uses
PostgreSQL to keep all its data.  The problem is, is that the load on the
machine slowly grows (see
http://dogbert.magill.unisa.edu.au/admin/mrtg/load.html) until the machine is
rebooted manually - at which stage the load begins around 0.70.  If I reinstall
PostgreSQL, re init the db and restore the data, the load sits at 0.01 but
after a few hours, its back to hanging the CPU.

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 8366 pgsql     64   0  6112K  3956K RUN      0:27 94.40% 69.97% postgres

dogbert> uname -a
FreeBSD dogbert.magill.unisa.edu.au 4.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE #14: Mon
Jun 10 12:03:12 CST 2002
sayersjm@dogbert.magill.unisa.edu.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/DOGBERT  i386
dogbert> ls -1 /var/db/pkg | grep postgres
postgresql-7.2.1_1
dogbert>

Any ideas on what causes it and how to fix it?

Cheers,

Jarrod Sayers
Information Technology Services Unit
University of South Australia, Mawson Lakes Campus.
Phone: +61 8 8302 3133
http://people.unisa.edu.au/jarrod.sayers