Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:44:30 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@ccgate.infoworld.com
Cc:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@falcon.tioga.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis, again

> > My ~messages is pretty full of this, and Micropolis is full of that, I
> > will never buy anything from them again. I'm having the reseller replace
> > that drive with a Quantum of the same capacity.
>
> Careful. Quantum was just bought by Seagate.

     When did this happen?  Are you sure you're not thinking about
Connor?

     Anyway, Quantum Atlas and Fireball drives seem to be pretty good.
I've got both, and I'm quite happy with them.  The Atlas is nice, fast,
and expensive, and the Fireball is cheap and somewhat fast (sequential
reads are a respectable ~4-4.5MB/sec, sustained, although seek times are
a bit lacking).  I'd stay away from Empire and, maybe, Capella drives.
Anyway, when buying a drive, I believe that the reseller/vendor is just
as important as the drive manufacturer.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.