Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:45:37 -0800
From:      "Jason Nordwick" <nordwick@citycom.com>
To:        "John Sconiers" <jrs@enteract.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

From: John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>

>I believe it gives you an example....

No, the best example you get is from section 2.2.3 on how to do a
minimal install from an MS-DOS drive by copying files from the CD.
This is lacking in two regards:  first, it only shows you for a
minimal install, and second, it does not refer to where to get
files from the FreeBSD archives.  Ideally, you want to explain
what each directory on the ftp archive is for.  I remember about
six years ago, installing Linux Slackware.  They had a concept of
"disk sets."  These sets would have a small title (such as "man,"
"xc," or "info") that under the title directory there was numbered
images of floppies (I think I remember "info" being 3 disks, so you
would have c:\linux\info\info[1-3]).  Obviously this was to make the
naming and process similar for floppies (floppies were named info[1-3]).
But the installation instructions were painfully obvious to tell you
what each collections did (there were probably about 15-20 of them) and
how to setup you drive.  It was not how it was setup, but how the docs
explained it all that was important.

>Then you should buy a cd-rom set....you could also put the minimum install
>a a zip disk or a small fat partition and add stuff as you need it.

For someone new, buying the CD is the easiest.  Deciding what is necessary
for
a minimal install or what they need is beyond the beginner level.  When
asked,
I don't even know if I could determine what was necessary for my version of
minimal.

>When your new to a product it may be hard at first but if you read and ask
>good questions you can get through it.

Asking good questions is a pain in the ass.  First, it is very difficult to
ask good questions when you new to something as foreign as UNIX coming from
Windows.  Second, if you bought a software package and you had to call tech
support a couple of times to install it wouldn't you feel that they did not
do their job in living up to their promise of easy to install?

>Maybe you should download the post script version of the FAQ and Readme.
>etc that usually would help.  The big thing is that with other OSes (MS)
>they don't expect you to read the FAQ or Readme etc.

I have read them.  You can say, "just read X," as much as you want, but
without actually pointing to a section and showing me, I won't believe
you.  I would love to see a good section/manual out there, but if it is
it should be placed more prominantly on the installation pages.

>-current is not stable.  IE don't use it unless your willing to go along
>with the headaches that come with it.  It's for Developers, Bleading Edge
>etc.  By the way I run 3.0 and netscape...it works...

I got it to work to,  there was lack of checking for X.  It simply checked
to see if it was installed, but not make sure the a.out compatibility
libraries were installed.  Of course I didn't install them because you are
recomemded not to in the ports installation of XFree86-3.3.3.  Also the
patching is still broken on it, it seems (but I could be wrong).

>how about command line...

This makes no sense.

>??? I think its the price you pay for having a better system.  I agree
>some thiongs could be easier but unless people like you *HELP* make things
>easier than your wasting your time.

Egoism is the price I pay?  Yeah, fuck that.  There is no reason for
somebody
not to recognize problems;  people should remain open-minded about ideas and
progress, or they will be left behind and, worst of all, not realize it.

I try to help, but there things that I cannot do: I don't know shit about
PPP,
the ports building process to figure out why netscape won't patch properly,
or most things that I have problems with.  I just learned about SCSI and
RAID
this week (thanks Karl Pielorz).

>JOHN

-jay