Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:46:17 -0700
From:      "Josef C. Grosch" <jgrosch@xsvr2.cup.hp.com>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinion on Refurbished drives

On Aug 28,  4:15pm, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:
> Subject: Opinion on Refurbished drives
>      Hello,
>
>      I realize and appologize that this is not a FreeBSD question, but I
>      hope to get an opinion on a hard drive investment I recently made.
>
>      I bought a Seagate 2.1GB IDE hard drive from Corporate Systems Center.
>      It's a refurbished drive with a 90 day warrantee.  Already, the hard
>      drive failed after less than 30 days in my hands.  CSC has agreed to
>      take it back and repair or replace it since I am still within my
>      warrantee period.  They tell me refurbished drives are not a problem.
>
>      My question is:
>
>      In the opinion of the experienced, did I make a wise investment?
>      After all, I can buy a new Maxtor 1.6GB IDE hard drive from say
>      COMPUSA for about $229.  I paid CSC $269 for the 2.1GB Seagate
>      back in the beginning of August.  COMPUSA also gives me better
>      warrantee options.  It seems that I got a good price for the
>      high capacity hard drive from CSC, but I have much less security.
>      I will _more_than_likely_ not need the capacity beyond the 1.6GB
>      I would get with say, COMPUSA's deal.
>
>      Any comments or opinions are much appreciated.
>
>      Thank You,
>
>      JM
>
>-- End of excerpt from Jeffrey M. Metcalf

I have had good and bad luck with refurbished drives. I have also had good and
bad luck with new drives. I tend to go with new drives for the smaller capacity
drives and refurbished for the larger capacity. Price is what is driving this
decesion. The price for new, smaller SCSI drive continues to drop while the
price for larger drives is moving downward at a slower pace.I think it depends
on what you are going to use the disk for. For general purpose, refurbished
should be fine. But what ever you choose repeat this mantra several dozen times
a day; "Backups are a beautiful thing".

Josef

--
Josef Grosch, 47LG4 | "Laugh while you can, | My opinions are mine, not
jgrosch@cup.hp.com  |    monkey boy!"       | HPs. They have'nt paid for