Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:08:39 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP problem

Hi,

> I today installed my new IBM DCAS 34330 disk drive, and now I seem to
> have a SMP related problem:
>
> SMP kernel boots until the message:
>
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 on pin 0
>
> Then it gets a fatal trap 9
> This happens mostly all the time with SMP kernel, although sometimes
> booting succeeds and everything is fine when it is once up and running.
>
> UP kernel seems to work fine and does not show up an equal behaviour.
>
> My last update of /usr/src/sys was from the date you stated a good time to
> update again last week or so.

this is a well known problem, and we fixed it AFTER I made that
promouncement about it getting "as stable as its gonna get".  It was fixed
by:

fsmp        1997/08/14 19:33:31 PDT

  Modified files:
    sys/i386/include     smp.h
    sys/kern             init_main.c init_smp.c
  Log:
  The promised "better fix" for "Trap 9 When Boot SMP" problem.
  We now tsleep() in kthread_init() between start_init()
  and prepare_usermode() while waiting for ALL the idle_loop()
  processes to come online.

  Debugged & tested by:	"Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>

  Reviewed by:	David Greenman <dg@root.com>

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.25      +3 -2      src/sys/i386/include/smp.h
  1.69      +10 -2     src/sys/kern/init_main.c
  1.15      +8 -27     src/sys/kern/init_smp.c

---
for those shopping by "SNAP date" I would guess 970815 would be a
good vintage.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by