Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:04:37 -0800
From:      Christopher J.Gibbons <gibbons@dragonfire.penguinpowered.com>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4->4.0 ld-elf.so.1 error?

Warner,

 Something like this might help (would have helped me when I did my upgrade
from 3.4) in /usr/src/UPDATING: (feel free to include/exclude/edit/shred)

     If you are using Kerberos, and before running the make buildworld command
     comment out the line that reads MAKE_KERBEROS4=yes in /etc/make.conf.

     Secondly, comment out the linux_enable=yes in /etc/rc.conf <-- that one
     got me first time through, thank goodness for backups. ;-)

     Once 4.0 is running and completely installed uncomment the
     MAKE_KERBEROS4=yes in /etc/make.conf. Run make buildworld again
     to build the kerberized version and then go about the usual steps
     for re-installing the OS from source. Basically, one is simply
     re-building and re-installing 4.0 a second time to get kerberos
     to build and install properly.

     This is also a good time to uncomment linux_enable=yes in
     /etc/rc.conf if linux emulation is so desired.

Of course, _The_Better_Way_ would be to fix the 4.0 KerberosIV portion so it
compiles under 3.4; however, that may not be an option simply because of the
quasi-3.4/4.0 state when it builds.

Hope this helps,