Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:13:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared libraries?

> > i think i understand /bin and /sbin not using them, but i would never have
> > guessed that the text editors wouldn't as well as servers...?
> >
> Say you are running N copies of vi or emacs -- you are already sharing
> them.  It often doesn't pay to add the overhead of the shared libs.
> For example, if you link bash shared you will be able to measure slowdowns
> in the system, and more memory usage.  If you are running a big ftp site,
> the same kind of thing applies for the ftpd.

well this is my last attempt at explaining what i'm trying to say,

if you are running 50 processes, let's say that that 25 of them are
unique, well ok, now whichever duplicate processes you have around share
TEXT and unmodified DATA, however, if shared libs were used ALL processes
could share a majority of TEXT, that TEXt being the standard library
routines.

Feel free to slap me now :)

Alfred