Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:06:10 -0400
From:      Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
To:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@neverending.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KCheckPass -- make it setuid root or not?

A modest suggestion!

Warning messages during make() which explain why an expected feature
won't work, do not necessarily reach the intended audience.  For
instance, some people build their systems from binaries.

Therefore one of the following decisions need to be made:
	a) setuid executables are a necessary evil, and therefore kcheckpass is
built setuid.
	b) setuid executables are absolutely evil, remove kcheckpass and
programs that depend on it.
	c) fence straddle.  Leave it to the user, but modify kscreensaver so
that it will not lock the the system unless kcheckpass can unlock the
screen!  Display a GUI message explaining the problem when this occurs.

	- Harry Tabak
	Quad Telecom, Inc.