Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 22:43:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, john hood wrote:
> > I'll note that at least one reason for the absolute flood is all the
> > mail->news gateways that the lists get piped into.  My ISP is getting
> > FreeBSD list messages in at least five separate "local" hierarchies,
> > and I'm sure they're missing some.
> >
> > That's a lot of @ signs for the spammers to latch onto.
>
> what do people feel about using the common 'masking' of email addresses,
> on this list?  I know its generally 'uncool' to do such on mailing lists
> (where its almost a given for news now).  What I've considered doing for a
> while (since I heard the lists were being pointed to news) was have my
> email addr be:
>
>        brandon@roguetrader-NIXTHIS.com
>
> This, and variations on this theme, are what I use when posting to news
> (thus all any email-searching-engines get is a bogus hostname).
>
> So I guess the question would be, do people find this rude, if done in
> these forums?  Keeping in mind that these forums are being routed to news?

Er, my example was horribly bad, as its contradicting my previous stand on
having valid domains for receiving email :)  I guess for the mailing list
situation, how would people feel about simply a bogus user?  I.e:

      brandon-NIXTHIS@roguetrader.com

The best solution (imho) would be to actually restrict the uunet gateways
with a stipulation that they must mask all email addresses.

-Brandon