Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 04:23:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, <current@FreeBSD.org>, Anders Andersson <anders@sanyusan.se>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: make includes

On Wed, 15 May 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> Almost correct.  For the record and future ports:

[jhb wrote]
> > It's useful for a new arch that doesn't have make world yet.  When I would
> > update world on my sparc before gcc was bmake'd it went something like this:
>
>     sudo make hierarchy
>
> > > sudo make includes
> > > sudo make libraries

What John wants is really these 2 steps.  Includes and libraries form a
usable subsset of the world, so it would be reasonable to have an end-user
target for it.  Hwowever, building that target robustly would involve a
lot more than the above.  All the tools for building the libraries would
have to be built, and that wouldn't work in this case.

> > > make obj && make depend && make
> > > sudo make install
> >
> > To build and install a new world.

Several other steps are missing.  Mainly "make obj" before "make
libraries".  "make obj" is now necessary before "make includes".

Bruce