Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:50:59 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changed to: Frac T3?

>> >Cool, do it :-)  The harder you push, the more likely it is someone will
>> >take up the challenge of how to route more quickly.
>>
>> Gee...what I was hoping to get is what people need.....is there a substantial
>> fractional T3 requirement? or does everyone need/want full T3? Would anyone
>> buy a 32Mbs card, or is it a waste if it doesnt to full t3? It seems that
>> there should
>> be a market for relatively low-speed fiber....increasing the clock rate as
>> you need
>> bandwidth. 20 T1s is a lot of bandwidth.
>
>Hi Dennis,
>
>I guess it depends on whether or not it is sold as an option (by the
>networking service provider)...  I usually see people talk about frac-T1,
>T1, and then immediately jump to T3.
>
>Translation: I see less of a market for frac-T3 than I do for T3.

This totally confused me, and I cant belive its true. The cost differential
between T1 and T3 is what, 12x or more.....it seems unlikely that anyone
could take that much of a hit......Our upstream provider is on a 4Mbs HSSI and
plans on moving up as needed.

>In my opinion, if I were you, I would certainly rev up my current
>product to handle frac-T3, on the condition that doing so was not
>a MAJOR re-engineering process.  You were mumbling something about
>PCI too, and I can see a PCI sync serial card capable of speeds from
>56k to frac-T3 as being attractive...  even if you leave the ISA
>stuff alone.

Our current product runs well over 10Mbs...but I dont think that many people
realize the HSSI is just a faster version of V.35...you can run V.35 fractional
T3 util you get over the 10Mbs physical limitations......ie, you can connect
a V.35 product on one end of a T3 and HSSI on the other...its just like
RS-232 and V.35 for lower speed stuff....they are not end-to-end requirements.

>As for me: would I buy one?  No.  I do not see my own bandwidth needs
>exceeding dual-T1 within a year, and at those rates, I would go dual-T1
>for redundancy's sake.

In some places (canada, i believe), they are like giving away fiber....of course
the service costs are astronomical....it seems a matter of time before fiber is
much less expensive and T3 fracs are the way to add a T1 of bandwidth as
needed....

Dennis